Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2017

What I'm working on this week...

There’s nothing better on a crazy hectic Friday than to come home from work to find some family history love in the mail box! The McDonough County Genealogical Society (Illinois) has publications called Grandma Flack’s Scrapbook. There are 8 volumes of this scrapbook which include wedding articles and obituaries from the Industry area of McDonough County. It’s a wonderful resource, but unfortunately most of the articles have no date and none have the name of the newspaper.

Flora Lucinda (Swift) Worth had a brother John H. who died when he was about 24 years old. I didn’t find his obituary because most of the articles are from 1894 to 1957 and he died in 1877, but I did find the obituary of his wife. They were only married 15 months or so before he died. I’m following up with a more specific request for information about John’s death from the MCGS.

I worked mostly on correcting and adding citations to the Charles and Eunice (Robinson) Swift family in Legacy Family Tree. It’s time consuming! But going through it slowly helps me see what other information I might be out there. For example, was there a newspaper article or at least a mention of Charles’ death in his hometown newspaper? I hope to look at microfilm through Inter Library Loan to see what I can find. I also sent for a copy of John H. Swift’s marriage license and an email request to the Crawford County Iowa Genealogical Society to see what resources might be available to find out about the death of Charles and Eunice’s youngest son Lafayette’s death in 1883.

No comments:

Post a Comment