Pages

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Same Birthday as Yours?

1) Is there a person in your genealogy database that has the same birth date that you do? If so, tell us about him or her - what do you know, and how is s/he related to you?


2) For bonus points, how did you determine this? What feature or process did you use in your software to work this problem out? I think the Calendar feature probably does it, but perhaps you have a trick to make this work outside of the calendar function.


One ancestor shares my birthday, and he is the end-of-line ancestor at the top of the pedigree chart. James Russell was born 2 Jun 1728 in England. I got this information from a gravestone transcription (Old Gravestones of Ulster County, Town of Plattekill) which was recorded as, "Russell James, Jan. 31, 1805, 76-7-29." My genealogy software tells me that makes his date of birth June 2nd. I would love to see this tombstone but it is not on findagrave.com yet and I have no plans to travel to New York to find it, although I'd love to!

A lot more research needs to be done on this line. I sent for a copy of his will several years ago. What I have found so far, and this hadn't been verified by other sources yet, leads me to say that James' wife was Anna. They had nine children, four daughters and five sons, including their son Benjamin Russell (Abt 1780-abt 1840) who is my great-great-great grandfather. There are several Russell families in Ulster County and I need to take the time to sort them out.

I used the calendar feature in Legacy software to find this information.

No comments:

Post a Comment