Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2017

What I'm working on...

In the last two weeks, I have received a copy of John H. and Helen or Ella (Willey) Swift’s marriage license from  McDonough County. I also received a response to my request from the McDonough County Genealogical Society. They do not have any information about the deaths of John H. Swift or his parents, Charles and Lydia (Bates) Swift. Research volunteers Judy A. and Judy B. did a thorough search of their records and found references to our family, but it was mostly information I already had. It is GOOD to know there are still conscientious volunteers who are ready to help strangers find family info through county genealogical societies.

I finished browsing records on familysearch.org of probate records for Schuyler county. I found references to guardianship of Charles and Eunice’s minor children, but no probate records of Charles Swift (1790). McDonough County probate records are not on familysearch.org.

Today I mailed letters to the Crawford County Iowa Recorder’s Office to see if they have a death record for Lafayette Swift, and a letter to the Schuyler County Illinois courthouse for information about when Charles’ land was sold.

I may have a new blog or even a new website soon. The goal of all of this is to share my research with my children and grandchildren and anyone else who is interested in it. And a blog or website is a low-cost way to achieve that. Daughter Liz is inspiring me to expand beyond this simple blog that no one reads ;) and create a place for stories and photos and research that is user friendly and a fun place to learn about our family. We’ll see what the future brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment